Wednesday 15 February 2012

Virginia: First Edits

I spent this morning dealing with edits of my book Virginia.  The editor's suggestions are so good it's tempting to simply accept them all.  I say to myself, "Of course.  Why didn't I write it like that in the first place?"
I submitted my manuscript on 29th December and was surprised to receive an answer - and a contract to sign - on 16th January.  Whiskey Creek Press says this step can take months, so I flatter myself they know me and gave me priority.  I signed (of course), and was notified the manuscript had been allocated to an editor on 27th January.  He's an Australian and I've worked with him on several of my books.  We swap brief chit-chat about the weather, etc.  He sent me a request for author and title information: blurb, my bio, book genre, contact details, on 12th February and the first edits were ready for me on 15th February.  We'll go through another cycle of edits, where I'll be restricted to correction of typos, etc.  The next step is notification of ISBN and publication date.  Whiskey Creek publishes twice a month.  Nearer publication I get the galley, which is the final editing stage.  Spellings will be Americanised a bit more, and any corrections I supply should be typos only.  About that time I'll get a request for cover illustration information.  Whiskey Creek have a number of artists.
More later: the boy's home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment