Wednesday 25 April 2012

Make em laugh; make em cry; make em wait.

The parallel story within Jennie  has grown.  I've called it Carol, and have written its first chapter, set it in Chester, where Carol & Brian are having a pleasant weekend, seeing the sights, dining out, and having fun in a converted stable...  They don't even mention Rhoda yet; I'm leaving that for chapter 2 or 3, which should tie well with Rhoda announcing to Jennie that Carol's invited her to stay, in chapter 4 or 5 of Jennie.  I don't propose to alternate the two strands exactly (yet!) but it allows me to leave cliff-hangers dangling while we catch up with what's happening to the other characters (see the title to this post).

I've started a chronology; necessary for any novel with a story, but vital where two stories are to weave together.  I used one extensively for Rhoda, so that I could know which Friday would precede the August Bank Holiday and work towards it.  Virginia used one as well; set on a farm, the seasons are important!

Jennie is only a working title: I have to call it something.  Perhaps I need an overall title, so I can refer to the strands within it as Jennie and Carol.  My latest two books are Rhoda and Virginia, but since Jennie contains BDSM perhaps a Garden title would be appropriate.  Suggestions invited...

The picture is of the Jubilee Clock on the Eastgate, Chester.  I wonder if  Elizabeth II's jubilee will merit a similar monument?  The title quotation is from Charles Reade (1814-1884).

No comments:

Post a Comment